What Kind of Training is Pilates ?
Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy’s Pilates classes are designed to get Perth people in the best shape of their lives! Our Pilates classes will rapidly improve your fitness, conditioning, strength, muscle tone, flexibility, posture and balance! This is done through intense classes that always focus on the correct technique in order to help you improve your concentration, physical coordination, balance and increase your body awareness. Premier Academy’s Pilates classes are also perfect for stress management and relaxation!
The Pilates Method uses specifically designed equipment and floor exercises to promote uniform development of the body. This allows weaker muscles to develop instead of the body continuously relying on the stronger muscles to do the work. Pilates focuses on the core muscles first, specifically stomach, butt and back, in a sense, working the muscles from the inside out. This achieves and maintains a balanced aligned body. The fundamental principles of Pilates focus on balance, concentration, control, centred awareness, fluid movements, and breath.
Pilates classes at Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy enhance core strength, increasing your flexibility, coordination and spatial awareness. Pilates involves over 500 exercises, which will help you gain muscle strength, improve flexibility, and build a stronger core. These exercises are performed as a mat class often using specialized equipment for more resistance at Premier Academy. Training in Pilates classes at Premier Academy engages the whole person, not just the muscles. Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy’s Pilates classes will develop and enhance stamina, posture, alignment and core strength for everything from elite performance to everyday activities for everyone!
Can beginners do Pilates?
Walking into Premier Academy Pilates class for the first time can be daunting. A quick glance around will reveal participants in a variety of focused exercises that can look intimidating, if not downright scary. You may be wondering if your body actually cope with them? Rest assured that Pilates is suitable for all fitness levels. At Premier Academy Pilates is a very professional, client-centred practice. To help you experience what really happens in a Pilates class Premier Academy gives you the chance to try your first class for free.
At Perth’s Premier Academy, our Pilates classes are conducted by fully qualified instructors who will not only get your core strong and improve your flexibility, but also teach you the correct techniques for movement, balance, posture, and breathing. Each of our members is treated individually and is pushed to the best of their own ability and potential. You are never compared to anyone else. Our instructors will guide and motivate you to be the best that you can be through our Perth Pilates classes!
Premier Academy’s motto is “Fitness with Meaning”! You don’t have to be in shape or fit, there is no prior experience necessary! If you live in Perth’s northern suburbs and would like to experience the excitement and challenge of our Pilates classes, we invite you to book a trial session.
What should I wear to Yoga and Pilates?
Wear comfortable and supportive clothes, that are form fitting but not restrictive, for you Pilates classes at Perth’s Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy. Avoid zippers and snaps. When lying on your back or stomach or rolling over, a protruding piece is extremely uncomfortable. Avoid clothing that is too loose – a loose shirt can slip right down over your head in the inverted positions! Long hair should be tied up for the same reason. Barefoot is required as we train on fully matted floors at Premier Academy. Bring a clean towel or a Yoga mat to do your floor work on.
What should I eat before Pilates?
Ever walk into an Perth Pilates class and wish you hadn’t eaten such a large meal for “energy” just before or maybe wish you had eaten just a little snack because you feel positively weak? Our Pilates instructors are often asked about pre-workout meals and snacks so here are some guidelines to help you out. First of all, you don’t want to eat a giant meal right before your Pilates class. A full tummy means you won’t want to be using your core (the idea of pulling in your stomach when its full of food and drink is not that enticing). Also, exercising right after a meal results in your body diverting energy away from digesting your food (what it wants to be doing) and instead trying to send it to your muscles. This can result in bloating, gas and overall, not a very happy digestive system.
On the other hand, if you are really hungry, you’ll lack the energy and focus to really get all the benefits of your Premier Academy Pilates session. Ideally, you’ll want to be aware of your hunger levels well ahead of time and decide if you need a meal or a snack. Then you will have the best chance to time your meal or snack according to your workout, as suggested below. If you have to have a full meal allow at least 1 to 2 hours before your session to give yourself time to digest. A light, balanced and easy to digest meal is best. Experiment with what combinations of foods works best for you, so that it digests well and keeps you energized throughout your workout. If you just need a small snack then allow at least 30 to 45 min before your session for a quick energy boost. Bananas are a good example of the ideal snack before your Pilates class at Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy.
What are the health benefits of Pilates?
Pilates will give you an overall sense of well-being like no other form of exercise! Here are the seven most noticeable health benefits that you will notice after just a few months of regular Pilates classes at Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy:
- Improved Flexibility – whether your goal is to touch your toes, reduce the tightness in your hamstrings, or to simply feel less stiff, the stretches and poses performed during Pilates classes at Premier Academy will help with this. Developing greater strength and flexibility in your muscles will consequently reduce your risk of injury and will allow greater movement in your body to help you perform better physically.
- Improves Posture – Pilates exercises help improve bad posture. Posture is an important dimension in staying healthy throughout life. The spine is the central channel of the nervous system, so when your spine is healthy, pathways of the nervous system are strong and clear and vital energy flows more freely.
- Increases Strength – spend a few seconds in a Pilates exercise and you’ll realise how much strength Pilates requires. The benefit of building strength through Pilates classes at Premier Academy is that you balance it with flexibility.
- Improves Sleep Quality – incorporating Pilates classes into your fitness routine at Premier Academy can help promote better sleep. Pilates classes can help you relax and unwind, helping you to fall asleep faster, sleep longer, and feel more rested when you wake up. Pilates classes have also been shown to increase the secretion of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep and wakefulness.
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety – regular exercise has a positive influence on mental health and can help reduce feelings of stress, anxiety and depression. Pilates classes at Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy have been shown to act as self-soothing techniques, and can help to manage stress response systems by reducing the heart rate, lowering blood pressure and easing respiration.
- Improves Concentration and Focus – Pilates classes require physical concentration as you learn to bring your focus to your breath as you move through a sequence of poses. Bringing in an awareness of your body and breath is a useful tool that can be used to increase your concentration in your day-to-day activities.
- Improves Cardiovascular Health – Pilates poses/exercises rely on holding muscle tension for a short period of time, helping to improve cardiovascular fitness and circulation. This can help to reduce blood pressure and decrease risk factors for heart disease.
How do I get started?
Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy is open Monday to Sunday, and our Pilates classes are available on weekdays and also on the weekend. You don’t have to be in shape and there is no prior experience necessary.
If you would like to experience the benefits of Pilates at Premier Academy, we invite you to come in and visit our school for your FREE Introductory lesson. You will have the opportunity to speak with the instructors and meet our friendly, professional staff. Through this free introductory lesson, you will get a first-hand understanding of the excitement, energy, empowerment, and life changing benefits of Pilates at our Perth Academy.